Search by criteria

Exclusive villas to rent on the Ile de Re


Your safety and that of your family is our priority

We understand that COVID-19 can cause concern, which is why we are updating our policies to better meet your needs.. learn more ›

Owners’ insurance

While, as an owner who is not occupying the property which you are renting out on the Ile de Ré, you are not legally obliged to take out any insurance, you must then tell the client that he is obliged to insure the property during his stay and you should make this a term of the rental agreement. In the case of short seasonal lets, it is dangerous to do this for all the above reasons, and equally because from time to time, you might wish to occupy the property yourself, especially if it is also your second home on the Ile de Ré.

The advice then is to take the initiative as owner and insure your own property on the client’s behalf by taking out a specific third party guarantee (“pour le compte de qui il appartiendra”). This guarantee will cover all persons who occupy your property against rental risks (water, fire and explosive damage) to you, your neighbours and third parties.

Another solution would be to take out a guarantee waiving liability (“abandon de recours”), which will cover damage caused in your property on the Ile de Ré, but won’t cover damage to your neighbours or to third parties. In this case, you must check that your client’s third party liability insurance can pick up the slack – as you can see, this type of solution is quite complex.

The bad news is that certain insurance companies, very often the mutual ones, do not offer these two types of guarantee, so you would have to change your insurance provider.